Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Feeling the pressure


The countdown has begun.  Yesterday we made it to 34 weeks.  This is exciting because a baby with no health problems has a 99% survival rate if born at this point.  This makes me think that our sweet baby girl would also have a decent chance of survival, even with the heart defect.  

I have given my date at work.  I will be leaving on Oct 28, 2 days before I hit 39 weeks.  This is 4 weeks from Tuesday!!  I decided that if they are going to induce me at 39, I'd like a couple of days to rest / get things done at home.

Speaking of work, I'm hanging in there, however, it is definitely feeling harder.  I struggle to get up in the morning and have a hard time getting through the day.  By the end of the day, I have full fledged cankles (sometimes they're pretty swollen in the morning too).  

Overall, I've definitely slowed down.  I'm still running, but haven't gone more than 3 miles in a few weeks and haven't run more than 4 days in a week.  I'm lucky if I get 10 miles in a week.  The other day I had to quit mid-run due to heartburn.  But I'm trying to at least get 3 runs in a week.   I did run a 5k last weekend, and had pretty good results, especially considering it was a hot day.  



I was able to still run 9:22 min / mile and still came in in the 43% overall, 32% in my age group - not bad for 33 weeks.  Now the next bit of exciting news:


Two weeks ago I signed up for the 2015 Boston marathon!  In April.  I worked hard to qualify last Nov and the qualification is only good for one year.  Couldn't waste it.   So the longer I keep running, the easier it will be to come back and start training.  It has been 5 years since the last time I ran Boston, so I am looking forward to having such a special race as my first marathon after baby girl, even if I don't expect it to be pretty.  I will have a month to recover and 4.5 months to train - hope that will be enough!!

This weekend is my MA baby shower.  I'm really looking forward to celebrating baby girl with my New England friends and family.  I realize I still haven't posted the wonderful pictures my cousin Ashley took at my NJ shower, but I promise after this shower is over, I will do a baby shower post.  Here's a sneak peak - me with my Saghirian cousins and my Aunt Gail - it meant so much that they came so far:



The nursery furniture was delivered last weekend.  It's perfect.  I worked myself to the bone last weekend putting everything in order, both in her room and and in the front bedroom which has now become the guest room /office.  I'm happy to report, if baby girl came home tomorrow, her room would be ready for her!  We still need to put some stuff on the walls, but I know exactly what I want to do so that will be easy.  The more daunting task is the ongoing job of cleaning out the closet in her room.  But at least I can close the doors and pretend it's not there for now.  I feel like Monica from Friends...  Anyway, here are some before / after pictures:





I am really happy with how it turned out.  Sanders, on the other hand, is not so sure.  Last week he wouldn't go in at all, now he'll come in, but doesn't want to stay in there.  

And baby girl, what's the update on her, you ask?  She is growing well.  As of my appointment on Monday, she was 4lbs 9oz, and was in the 33%, which is completely normal.  She is head down, let's hope she stays.  She was very active. I was able to see her make breathing movements and they said she has good muscle tone.  My doctor said this was a boring pregnancy, which is just what we want.  I did not get to see her face - she had her hands in front of it.  They showed me where her foot was, and a few moments later she kicked in that same place!  I get to see her every week now, as they want to continue to monitor her growth.  Can't believe she'll be here so soon!

We have agreed on a name, but please don't ask.  We don't plan on sharing!  This our one secret we've been able to keep between us.  It's a name we have been talking about for months, but finally just agreed on.  

I will leave you now with my bump shot for 34 weeks.  I took some pictures of my bare belly, so I will give you some comparison shots between 5 weeks and 34:


I was so skinny and fit!


Still fit, not skinny...lol


And here is the more traditional one (I look so tired!):


I'm still being told how small I am, though I certainly don't feel that way!  I didn't gain any weight in the two weeks between my last appointment and this week.  This is good and bad.  It will keep me on track for the 25-30lb range, but on the other hand I know gaining weight at this stage is healthy.  

Overall, I still feel pretty good and I'm trying to enjoy the last few weeks of this blessed pregnancy.  Sometimes I get sad thinking about the fact it is almost over and realistically I know I may never get to experience it again. While she is inside, it's just me and her and I love that special relationship.  Other times, I just can't wait for her to be here and have everyone else meet her and experience the fierce, independent little girl I think she will be, based on her behaviors so far.  

Have a great weekend!




No comments:

Post a Comment