Monday, May 26, 2014

Remembrance, memories, and the start of summer!

Memorial Day weekend has always been one of my favorite weekends of the year.  First of all, It's such an important thing, to recognize the service all of our armed forces.  We would not be here today, living the life we live without their service, and their sacrifices.  So if you're reading this, and haven't done so already, please take a moment to think about all those who have served.  I've spent much of today thinking of my grandfather, Henry Evans (Poppy), my Uncle Bill, William Lamond, and Chris' grandfather, Douglas Crellin, all of whom served in World War II, and all of whom are no longer with us.  It is perfect time to remember them. 

Second, it's the unofficial start of summer.  Growing up at the Jersey Shore, "opening weekend" was something I waited for all year.  Almost like the beginning of a new year.  In fact, while we were up in New Hampshire this weekend, I overheard someone wish someone they hadn't seen all winter, "Happy New Year."  It made me smile.  When I was little in Ocean City, I had the tradition of going in the ocean to celebrate the start of the new year.  Now that I am grown, I no longer get to do that.  It is just too far of a trip to make in a three day weekend with things wrapping up at school.  I did manage to get in my first swim of the season at Walden pond, so that's one way to celebrate summer. 

My beach:


First Walden swim:

Lastly, this weekend is important to us as a couple, because it is the anniversary of our wedding.  It's been 8 years since we got married.  When we got married, we planned on having our first after 4-5 years, so by now, we expected to already have one child, if not two, so the fact that our first is just on the way, is not what we expected.  Anyway, we chose this weekend in particular.  As summer people, we liked the significance of it being the first weekend of summer.  But we chose it not only for the significance, but also to give our family and friends in New England the three day weekend to travel to NJ for our wedding.  It was a beautiful weekend, that early summer day, 8 years ago.  It felt like all of the shore was celebrating with us and we had a few hundred extra guests with us on the the beach as we exchanged our vows.  It was a perfect start to our journey.  I will always remember that day.  I remember the feeling as I watched all of our guests arrive from the upstairs window, as I walked to the beach with my wedding party,  and the kids across the street blew bubbles at me and waved.  I remember the plane that flew overhead saying "Remember the day", then crossing over the footbridge to the beach and seeing the crowds, both invited guests and uninvited beachgoers. 


 It really was special getting married on my beach, and for us, much more spiritual than a church.  That beach is so special to me - my family has been there for 60 years, both my dad and I grew up on that beach, Chris proposed to me on that beach, and my little girl will also grow up there.  So many memories over the past 35 summers.  So for that reason alone,  Memorial Day weekend is very important to me.






We had a nice weekend up in NH.  We stayed at our favorite Inn, the Glynn House in Ashland, NH.  We had couple of good dinners and spent the day Saturday hiking.  It was a beautiful day and great to get out into nature.  We hiked to a mountain lake, Lonesome Lake, Sanders did some swimming and got good and muddy.  I was surprised how tired I got while hiking.




I am feeling a lot better and hoping the second trimester is really finally taking hold.  My energy is starting to return.  I had a pretty good week and an even better weekend, and I'm starting to feel like myself again.  I managed to run 20 miles for the week, swam a half mile in Walden, returned to yoga, and hiked for 4 hours.  My house is still a mess, but I'm hoping to have the energy to give it a deep clean this week or next weekend.

So I leave you with my 16 weeks bump picture.  Not many other updates at this point. 






No comments:

Post a Comment