Thursday, June 5, 2014

My "kids"

It is a rare occurrence that I am bored at work, my field is just not one that lends itself  to boredom...usually quite the opposite - arriving at 7AM, hitting the ground running, and not even having time to look at the clock until, whoops!  It's 4:00.  Tuesday was one of those rare days when I was bored.  Our kids were involved in MCAS testing.  This is the state standardized test they need to graduate from high school.  It happens three times a year - once in March, one in May, and once in. June.  Usually, I hoard some of my grading and it is a big chunk of very productive time.  It I had an easy week last week and had everything graded before I left on Friday.  It is so nice going into the weekend knowing there is nothing to grade, but it happens so rarely.   Anyway, having gotten the grading done, I had nothing to do while the kids tested.  The way the schedule fell, I only had one class in the afternoon, so it was long day of trying to stay occupied.  Funny, though I didn't get around to posting this until today.   

I few weeks ago, I promised a blog about my kids.  The end of the school year is busy and I never got around to it.  So I'm going to do a  bonus blog.  

Teaching high school is not a career I ever imagined for myself, but it was one of the best things to ever fall into.  After 4 frustrating years of doctoral study, I realized it was not for me and had to decide what next.  My professors at BU recommended high school.  So I went full force into finding a job.  The job at Malden High School was offered to me about a month after I left my PhD.  I accepted it and never looked back.  If I could never imagine teaching high school, I really never could imagine teaching in an urban school district, but now I wouldn't have it any other way.  Our parents are appreciative, our kids are mostly grateful.  Some of them are struggling with things none of us could ever imagine - hunger, homelessness, absent parents, the list goes on.  Many do not have good home lives.  Many of them see us more than they see their parents.  Many are needy.  The relationships I have formed with my high school kids is far deeper than any relationship I ever formed with my BU kids.  It is challenging and rewarding all at the same time.  

To say they were excited that I am pregnant is an understatement.  They had figured it out long before. I was ready to share, but I continued to keep my secret.  I stressed every day about what to wear, so as not to give it away to the ones who hadn't figured it out.  I told my principal two weeks before I was ready because I didn't want him to learn the news from them.  I listened to them whisper about me for weeks.  Chris and I talked about what I should do and if I should come clean.  I decided to just wait and play it cool.  Finally, one day a particularly bold kid said something that was just too obvious.  I turned to her and told her she was being obvious and to stop.  This is a kid that a few weeks before had come by my room to hang out.  When she got there, she kept talking about babies and how this year was the year of the baby (there are 13 faculty members who are expecting).  Anyway, When I dismissed them to lunch, she and her friend lingered and asked me what I meant by saying she was obvious.  I told her that I thought she knew.  She played dumb and said what do you mean, I said I think you know.  So she said, but are you?  And I said yes.  They screamed in excitement and told me that they had known since March and I said I knew that, but that it is not information that I wanted out that early.   By the end of the day, another class had figured it out, and next I knew it was on Twitter.  I had been outed by a bunch of teenagers.  Throughout that week, I was showered by congratulations from kids and faculty (fortunately, I had been able to get to everyone I wanted to tell myself before the kids outed me).

That was about 5-6 weeks ago.  They are still excited and I don't go a day without having a kid ask me  how I am feeling, what I am going to name her, if I am going to speak French to her, etc.  I have received cards 


and have had touching conversations, like the time the kid told me they were all so excited because they just all loved me so much.  I've also had some funny conversations, like the time a girl told me they knew because my boobs had gotten really big.  

I am not 100% sure what I will do next year, but it would be nice to take the rest of the year off and come back in the fall.  I do know I will miss them and can't imagine my life without them.  I am scared for who will replace me and if they will do good job because my kids deserve the best.  

Quick update on baby Crellin:  I had my 4 month appointment yesterday.  These appointments are short, but still produce a little anxiety for me, a left over repercussion of infertility.  I always worry, what if we don't hear the heartbeat?  What if something is wrong?  Well, everything is fine.  I am finally gaining weight normally, not rapidly (only 3lbs this month!).  We listened to (and I recorded) the heartbeat.  While listening to the heartbeat, we could hear her moving around in there....so awesome.  My midwife confirmed that what I have been feeling is most likely movement and even a few kicks here and there.  I have an posterior placenta, meaning the placenta is attached to the back wall of my uterus.  This is neither good or bad, just normal (love normal!!), but it is allowing me to feel baby moving earlier than average.  I think I first felt it at around 12.5w.   We are 18w today.  Can't believe it.  I am just loving pregnancy - it is a miracle and fills me with wonder and joy.  I always wanted to be the girl who loved being pregnant and here I am, a dream that I never thought would come true.  Next blog will be Monday night after the big anatomy ultrasound!  Stay tuned!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment